Library Card Requirements


In order to use the computers, check out materials, and access digital resources including e-books, a library card is required. Anyone who is a Wisconsin resident or long-term visitor to the Manitowoc County area may get a library card.

The only requirement to get a library card is identification with proof of current address.  If your driver’s license does not have the current address, a tax receipt, utility bill, or checkbook may be used for verification. If you’re only in the area temporarily, please stop by the circulation desk to inquire about proof of address requirements.

Anyone under the age of 18 must have a legal guardian with a valid driver’s license present to sign for the card in order to complete the application.

Library Card Frequently Asked Questions

  • I don’t drive and the bills at my apartment do not come to me; can I get a card?
  • Yes, if no proof of address can be shown, we will mail the application to you. When you receive the application bring in the envelope it was mailed in, the completed application and a photo ID to obtain your new card. You may check out materials as soon as the card is activated.
  • Can you check out items if you don’t have your library card with you?
  • Yes, we will also accept a valid driver’s license or state ID.  However, we will hold items for up to seven days until you come back with your card.
  • What if I lose my card?
  • When you lose your card please notify the library immediately!  Replacement cards are $2.00.
  • Can I use my Manitowoc Card at this library?
  • Yes, we accept Manitowoc, Brillion, Kiel, Chilton, and New Holstein library cards to check out materials at the Lester Public Library. A Lester Public Library card may also be used at these libraries.
  • I don’t live in Wisconsin, but I’m visiting for a while can I take out books?
  • Yes, people from out of state must have a driver’s license with their correct permanent address to apply for a card. For long term visitors, a local address can also be added so that pick-up and overdue notices will be sent to the local address.